Requirements for consideration
We consider candidates who meet the following three criteria:
- Completion of residency training in Anesthesiology, or
- Current anesthesiology resident training in good standing and targeted for completion before the beginning of fellowship training.
- American Board of Anesthesiology board certification as diplomate, or
- Targeted for ABA board-eligible status by the beginning of fellowship training.
- Completed application
A completed application includes the following:
- Completed VUMC Residency/Fellowship application. Alternatively, the SOAP common application may be completed and submitted.
- Cover letter with preferred starting date
- One-page personal statement describing one or more past experiences that serve to highlight personal qualifications/characteristics that will contribute to your success in fellowship training and as a consultant subspecialty expert.
- Curriculum Vitae, including
- Address, contact information
- Present work status
- All education experience, beginning with undergraduate
- All professional experience (including internship, residency, other postgraduate training / education)
- All work & research experience
- Licensure, if applicable
- Copies of
- medical school transcript and graduation diploma
- USMLE Scores
- ABA In-Training Exam (ITE) scores
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from your current Residency Program Director, or equivalent (e.g., chief of anesthesia for those applicants currently in practice).
Selected applicants will be invited for a personal interview at Vanderbilt. We begin considering applicants in January each year (18 months before program start date). Prior to interview arrangements, the Vanderbilt Medical Center Residency / Fellowship Application must also be completed - See the Vanderbilt GME page.
Beginning in 2018, OB Anesthesiology fellowship programs in the US will no longer be using the NRMP Match for fellow selection. Our program's policy is to make a selection decision and extend position offers in a timely manner following completion of the application and interview process.
We welcome further inquiries about the application process. Kindly direct these to Ms. Le'Rae Stanton, Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship Coordinator.