OB Anesthesia Morning Report
Weekday Morning Report (0700-0800*, 4203 VUH) is the sacred hour that anchors our workday:
- Before 0700* Very Important: Night call team must prepare clinical service in order to help preserve the integrity of the education hour (optimal when all faculty & trainees are present):
- Round on all ongoing labor blocks on L&D, to minimize likelihood of interruption of conference. Inadequate blocks should be remedied & PCEA infusion bags should be adequately full.
- Perform any needed L&D consults on newly admitted parturients, incl. in 4E triage unit.
- Round on 4 East antenatal patients & update the clinical census.
- Apprise float CRNA of any potentially problematic patients - Float CRNA will cover service during Morning Report, including coverage of on-going OR case.
- 0700* - Outgoing on-call attending attends beginning of OB-sign out rounds (4137 MCE).
- 0700-0800* Core Topics Conference (4203 VUH): This 40 min session addresses core topics . All participants must prepare in advance by studying the 10-20 page reading assignment & accompanying study guide.
- 0800-0815* Clinical Report: Ongoing blocks, post-partum cases, & antenatal inpatients are reviewed and clinical care is transferred to incoming team.
- 0815* Clinical duties begin.
[*Note: Late starts on Wednesdays & Fridays frame-shift all times 1/2 hr later, i.e. 0730-0830]
Early Morning Work
After Morning Report, the following tasks are attended to:
- Meet up with OB residents & charge nurse on L&D to
- review potentially problematic patients,
- prioritize work schedule, as applicable, and
- promote positive team communication & collaboration, and thereby safety.
- Round on all patients with ongoing blocks - introduce new anesthesia team, assess analgesic blocks & parturient status, troubleshoot problem blocks, confirm pt understanding of plan...
- Post-partum rounds & documentation - This is essential. We are proactive in seeking out
- the potential complications that may require out attention/intervention, and
- feedback on our work, in order to adjust and improve.