Dr. Palka earned a B.S. in biology (with honors) from Duke University in 1995. After graduating from Duke, he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden (1995-96). He graduated from the University of Texas-Southwestern Medical School with an M.D. in 2001, then moved to Chicago for internship and residency in medicine at the University of Illinois-Chicago (2001-04). Following residency, Dr. Palka pursued a hematology/oncology fellowship at Vanderbilt University, which he completed in 2009.
Dr. Palka currently holds a joint appointment as Assistant Professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt University and Meharry Medical College , where he serves as an attending physician in hematology/oncology. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology, and Medical Oncology, and serves as one of the assistant program directors for the Vanderbilt hematology/oncology fellowship program. In his Nashville General Hospital clinics, he sees a wide diversity of hematology and oncology patients, is active in medical education, and is developing research projects focusing on cancer care in underserved populations.
At Vanderbilt, his clinical interest in neuro-oncology led to a secondary appointment in the department of Neurology. His clinical interest is the development of therapeutic clinical trials for glioblastoma and other high grade glioma patients.
Dr.Palka is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society of Hematology, and the Society for Neuro-oncology.
1. Palka KT and Moots PL. “Ependymoma.” 5 Minute Neurology Consult, 2nd ed. 2012.
2. Palka KT, Mobley B, Perkins S, Cooper M, Sills AK, Moots PL. “Glioma and Other Neuroepithelial Neoplasms.” Textbook of Uncommon Cancers, 4th ed. 2012.
3. Wolff SN, Brifkani Z, Millner P, Palka K, Wujcik D. “Comorbidities of the underserved and minority patient with cancer presenting to a public safety-net hospital: A deterrent for clinical trial participation?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2010 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings (Post-Meeting Edition).Vol 28, No 15_suppl (May 20 Supplement), 2010: Abstract 1607.
4. Palka KT, Lebow RL, Weaver KD, Kressin MK. Intracranial collision metastases of small-cell lung cancer and malignant melanoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 26(12), April 2008.
5. Palka KT, Slebos RJ, Chung CH. Update on molecular diagnostic tests in head and neck cancer. Seminars in Oncology, 35(3), June 2008.
6. Chung CH, Pohlmann PR, Rothenberg ML, Burkey BB, Parker J, Palka K, et al. Insulin-like Growth Facotr-1 Receptor Inhibitor, AMG-479, in Cetiximab-Refractory Head and Neck Squamous Cell. Head & Neck, July 2010.