Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nurse Practitioner (NP) Fellowship Program
Focused upon facilitating successful transitions to practice and enabling nurse practitioners to immerse themselves in specialty practice settings, Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s Nurse Practitioner (NP) Fellowship program provides post-graduate clinical and educational experiences.
Within a protected learning environment, the one-year fellowship prepares the new graduate, as well as the experienced nurse practitioner, to provide quality, evidence-based patient care within a diverse and complex health care environment. Core fellowship curriculum will include evidence-based and practice-based learning, quality outcome identification and measurement, leadership and practice model development, organizational enculturation and professional development. Practice specific curriculum will include direct patient care, simulation training, and didactic courses in topics related to the patient population. Currently fellowships are being offered in the following practice specialties: solid organ transplant, urology, and colorectal surgery.
Fellows are expected to be engaged and active participants in their educational journey and will evaluate their progress through collaborative appraisals and self-reflection, as well as identify and resolve educational and experiential gaps.
Future fellowships in other advanced practice nursing areas are in currently in development.
- Provision of a focused learning experience that enables the NP to develop and refine essential specialty specific clinical and critical thinking skills promoting top of license practice
- Immersion into environment of collaborative multidisciplinary care that assures cost effective, quality, patient centered care
- Expanded incorporation of evidenced-based practice into care and utilization of improvement processes to enhance quality and care delivery processes
- Master’s or higher degree in nursing
- Eligible for or active national board certification in one of the following:
- For the Urology Fellowship: Graduation from an accredited institution granting one of the following graduate degrees: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP), Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGNP), or Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP).
Vanderbilt Urology Clinic Website
- For the Colorectal Surgery Fellowship: Graduation from an accredited institution granting one of the following graduate degrees: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP).
Vanderbilt Digestive Disease Center Website
- For the Transplant Fellowship: Graduation from an accredited institution granting graduate degree as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP), Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-PCNP), Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP).
Vanderbilt Transplant Website
- Eligible for or active Tennessee Board of Nursing RN /APN license
- Eligible for or active DEA certificate
- Satisfactory background check
- Ability to work 40 hours per week
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification (required Colorectal Surgery fellowships)
- Completed application
- Deadlines for Application Submission
- Transplant - Applications currently CLOSED. Please check back for reopening of application period.
- Colorectal Surgery - Applications currently CLOSED. Please check back for reopening of application period.
- Urology - Applications currently CLOSED. Please check back for reopening of application period.
Documents to accompany completed application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for 3 references who can speak to your clinical and interpersonal skills (faculty instructor, supervisor, physician or NP peer)
Documents to ready for later submission
- Official transcripts
- Copies of BLS and ACLS certification (when applicable)
- Copies of board certification(s) and/or proof of "pending" status
- Copy of state nursing license(s) and/or proof of "pending" status
Interested in careers at VUMC?
Office of Advanced Practice (OAP) Informational Form
Would you like more information regarding VUMC Advanced Practice Fellowship Programs? We would be happy to share information with you and answer your questions.
Please fill out this form and we will be in touch with you shortly.