All visitors must be one of the following:
- College student enrolled in a healthcare related program.
- Medical student.
- Nursing student.
- Research student / staff participating in related research.
- VUMC patient care providers.
- Non-Vanderbilt undergraduate students, graduate school students, a first, second or third year medical student, or working professionals, should visit the VUMC Observational Experience web site and complete the online application. When the online application has been approved the visitor will receive an email from Linda Partridge saying they’re approved to observe in the OR.
- Vanderbilt employees are required to go through the VOE office for approval to observe anywhere at Vanderbilt. Employees are required to complet the aplication and upload the required documents: Occupational Health transcript and insurance card. Most employees are able to get approval right away but it just depends on whether they went through New Hire Orientation and have completed everything that is required by Occupational Health. Regardless, though, VOE is required to keep their application on file so they can keep track of who is observing where. Employees are also required to wear a separate Observer badge so it is clear that they are not allowed to be helping or doing anything hands-on while there. http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=voe&doc=44239
- View the Perioperative "Visitor Guide to the OR" presentation. Click here to launch the presentation.
- Click here to view the helpful tips for your OR experience.
- Note: Observations are from the non-sterile perspective.
All visitors to the OR must adhere to these established guidelines to ensure patient safety, patient privacy, and visitor safety.
For questions regarding observing in the OR, please contact any of the Perioperative Educators:
High School Students
High school students cannot observe in the Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments, Adult and Pediatric OR's, and other areas determined by unit management.
High school students interested in observing other areas at VUMC, click here for the Vanderbilt Observational Experience (VOE) site which outlines requirements.