All visitors must be one of the following:
- College student enrolled in a healthcare related program.
- Medical student.
- Nursing student.
- Research student / staff participating in related research.
- VUMC patient care providers.
- Complete orientation and health screening information located on the VUMC Observational Experience website. Click here. (VUMC photo visitor badge is issued by Service Excellence Coaching and Consulting after the requirements are met).
- Obtain permission and approval from your OR Sponsor. Click here to print the Visitors Permission Form.
- View the Perioperative "Visitor Guide to the OR" presentation. Click here to launch the presentation.
- Note: Observations are from the non-sterile perspective.
All visitors to the OR must adhere to these established guidelines to ensure patient safety, patient privacy, and visitor safety.
Click here to view the helpful tips for your OR experience.
For questions regarding observing in the OR, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Students
High school students cannot observe in the Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments, Adult and Pediatric OR's, and other areas determined by unit management.
High school students interested in observing other areas at VUMC, click here for the Vanderbilt Observational Experience (VOE) site which outlines requirements.