Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)

Cheri Wood, MSN, RNCHello,
I’m Cheri Wood, MSN, RNC. I am the manager of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) located on the 4th floor in Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.

In the NICU, we pride ourselves in having the compassion and knowledge to care for critical ill infants and their parents and the ability to meet their needs.  To accomplish this, versatility in our nurses is key as new changes in evidence based care practice must take place to provide the best care possible.

Cheri Wood, MSN, RNC
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt 

Unit Highlights:

Focus of Care Patient Demographic Number of Beds                        Certifications of Our Nursing Staff
Neonatal intensive care for newborns,
ECMO therapy
 Newborn infants 104
  • BLS
  • NRP
  • CLC
  • PALS
  • NIC

About Us:

Our unit specializes in treating RDS, Sepsis, and Prematurity, as well as hosting a significant population of infants with cardiac, GI/GU, neurological, and genetic anomalies.

As the Regional Perinatal Center for Middle Tennessee our Level III, 104-bed NICU admits over 1300 critically ill newborns each year. We have inborn admissions from our Labor and Delivery Unit that make up approximately 55% of our total admissions, with the remaining 45% brought in by our own Transport Team either by ambulance, helicopter, or fixed wing.

A typical shift for our nurses includes working in an exciting unit, caring for premature babies, as well as those infants with surgical, cardiac, or even ECMO needs.
Our nurses are encouraged to become active within the unit by joining groups and committees focused on safety, education, scheduling, bereavement, etc

Awards and Recognitions:
We can proudly boast that we were the first NICU in the country to place a premature baby on a ventilator!

We are the leader in CLABSI (Central Line Associated Blood Stream Infection) Reduction across VUMC and are ranked 8th in the U.S. News and World Report for Best Children’s Hospitals: Neonatology.

Visit Our Website  Visit our NICU Website   


Recruitment Information:

Click to ApplyIf you are interested in applying to this unit, please visit Work at Vanderbilt: Achieve the Remarkable for current open positions.

                 Try using these keywords as searches to locate a position in the NICU:
                 neonatal intensive care, ECMO, babies, nicu
Nurse Residency ProgramThis unit/area is a part of the Pediatric Track in the Nurse Residency Program.
If you are a new grad, please visit our Nurse Residency Program section for more information.


Back  Our Patient Care Areas


To update information on this page, please email